Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sources for math tutorial info: MathOverFlow

I wished I paid more attention to math in high school and college. Math without context is hard for me though, and I never realized how important it is for biology. Granted, I can still do all my research and get a doctorate without it (except for using statistics programs), but all the really interesting science today requires at least a familiarity with numbers (statistics in particular). Systems biology and large data sets are quickly making the handling and manipulation of science data and information more important than benchwork. Ok, I love benchwork; is it is a crucial part of biology: all I mean is that it's relatively easy to extract RNA for transcriptome analysis, but much harder to understand it after RNAseq.



Anyway, the point of this post is that I was looking for some math resources and discovered MathOverFlow.net. This site is mainly for mathematicians as a forum to ask and answer questions, but it also provides links to education resources as well. So, if you need a place to start looking (look under the "education" category), try here.



Incidentally, I also spent my time looking at the "Math Urban Legends" post :) (that's what I'm linking you to first)



www.mathoverflow.net/questions/53122/mathematical-urban-legends

No comments:

Post a Comment