Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Bringing the Blog Back

I never know if I'll keep writing this blog, but I always want to. It's funny how life always gets in the way of life. So I'll give this the ole' college try again, trying to post at least once a month (I'm ambitious).

When I started the blog I wrote some reasons why I was doing it. For the most part, they still apply. I'm interested in the synthesis of knowledge, from an interdisciplinary perspective or even from one's own field. I think that as human beings we're crap for 'putting it all together'. We're good at estimating, simplifying, and stereotyping and that all applies to the science that we do as well. Not that each of us doesn't contribute to the building blocks on the stairs of scientific knowledge (it's a pyramid you know, E being equal to M*Csquared), but we could be building some ramps too.

Fields are becoming more interdisciplinary anyway. Biology and computer science are merging at an accelerating rate(bioinformatics, microarrays, sequencing and DNA synthesis technologies). These both need some math and statistics to survive and produce data, at least more than the current stock of biologists like myself usually have. You can add in the physics of microfluidics as well to get another discipline involved (for example, microfluidic devices are being developed that collect various cell types for later analysis, in applications such as vaccination and cancer diagnostics).

Anyway, I hope to get some discussion going about these things eventually. Well, that's my post for the month. (joking-- at least, I hope so)

No comments:

Post a Comment